Derby Tasmania history is a colorful one and this little towns future shines brightly. The focus on world class mountain biking tracks has reinvigorated this small town located in the northeast of Tasmania.
The area was surveyed in 1855, but was not settled until 1874, when George Renison Bell discovered tin in the area. The Krushka brothers discovered a lode of tin and set up a mine known as ‘The Brothers Mine’, assuring the town’s economic future.
The town was originally known as Brother’s Home until it was renamed ‘Derby’. (believed to be after Edward Smith-Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom). Brother’s Home Post Office opened on 1 August 1882 and was renamed Derby in 1885.
Derby reached its peak in the late 19th century, when its population reached over 3,000. The Brothers Mine which was renamed Briseis Mine after the winner of the 1876 Melbourne Cup. The mine was producing upwards of 120 tonnes of tin per month.
On 4 April 1929, the Briseis Dam burst and the Cascade River flooded the town, killing 14 people. As a result, the mine was closed, but re-opened five years later. Although it never reached the same level of output as it had in the last century and closed in 1948.
Derby was served by a branch railway line which extended from Launceston to Herrick, just short of Moorina. The line through Derby station opened in March 1919 and ran through the hills 2 km from the town. The railway closed in April 1992.
Derby’s history is colorful and its future bright. The trails are called Blue Derby and stretch out to the Blue Tier area. MTB tourism has reinvigorated the town and region and there have been several MTB events. In April 2017, Derby hosted a round of the Enduro World Series, a premier MTB race. It was the first time that Australia hosted a round of the EWS.
Sourced from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby,_Tasmania